We Were On A Break by Lindsey Kelk


Synopsis: ‘You’ve just had a holiday,’ I pointed out, trying not to yawn. ‘Wasn’t that enough of a break?’

‘I don’t mean that kind of break.’

There’s nothing worse than the last day of holiday. Oh wait, there is. When what should have been a proposal turns into a break, Liv and Adam find themselves on opposite sides of the life they had mapped out.

Friends and family all think they’re crazy; Liv throws herself into work – animals are so much simpler than humans – and Adam tries to get himself out of the hole he’s dug.

But as the short break becomes a chasm, can they find a way back to each other? Most importantly, do they want to?

Kat’s Review: 5/5

Kat’s Review: Although I read maybe 70% crime, the remaining 30% is spent reading books like these. I am a bit of a Lindsey Kelk fan and loved the Angela Clarke series of books. However, this latest release I knew nothing about other that the fact I loved the author. When I started reading I realised that Lindsey Kelk has not lost her touch and as I read I recalled that one of her skills was telling the ‘real’ version of event. Especially dialogue between characters and this book is no different.

Liv is on holiday with her boyfriend Adam and she knows a secret. Adam is going to propose!!! Only he doesn’t, and what was meant to be a return from holiday with a rock on her finger ends up being the start of a ‘break’ between them. They are such likeable and normal characters with a whole host of secondary characters, all of which were brilliant. Vet is a vet and works with her father in the practice in their village. Adam is a self-employed carpenter who has a ridiculously self-important older brother Chris who plays his part in getting Adam into a stick situation.

Just a few chapters in and I was belly laughing at some of the situations they both found themselves in. The great thing about this was that each chapter was written from the POV of either Liv or Adam so we get to see how they are both coping with their current situation. Liv has a whole host of friends who are fabulous in equal measures, one of which is Cass who is married to Adam’s brother, the outspoken and blunt Abi, and the absolutely fabulous David her colleague from the Vets.

Throw in a cat named Daniel Craig (legendary!) some crazy parents a whole village that stick their oar in and you have the winning combination. Lindsey Kelk clearly writes from the heart and creates characters that you will fall in love with. This was an absolute joy to read and made me hastily return to my blog to see which books I have missed out on. Thankfully it is only one book I’ve missed, but with the miserable winter approaching I now have something to cheer me up!!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s